Welcome to Home and Career Skills
In New York State, every middle student takes three quarters of a year of Home & Career Skills. This hands-on course offers students a chance to apply skills they learn in academic subjects to real world experiences. At Valley Central, each quarter focuses on a different aspect of Family & Consumer Sciences (a.k.a. Home Economics). Mrs. Toromanides teaches the units on Financial Literacy, Careers and Child Safety. Mrs. DeMeo teaches our Foods & Nutrition units, and the Sewing/Housing classes are split between Mrs. Toromanides and Mrs. DeMeo. On the “off” quarter, students have a study hall.
WHY SHOULD MY CHILD CARE
ABOUT HOME & CAREER SKILLS?
• Home & Career Skills teaches useful skills such as sewing a button, doing laundry, writing a check, and tying a square knot.
• In Home & Career Skills, your child is encouraged to practice reading and following directions every day.
• Home & Career Skills students work with partners as they might in a real workplace situation.
• Home & Careers Skills is designed to give every student a chance to be successful.
• Home & Career Skills offers your child opportunities to problem solve and be creative.
• The Home & Career Skills grade figures into the your child’s overall grade point average.
• Home & Career Skills can affect your child’s academic eligibility for sports, clubs, and reward trips.
HOW CAN YOUR CHILD RAISE HIS/HER GRADE?
• Your child can come to school regularly.
• Your child can actively participate in the daily lesson.
• Your child can come in during post-session and/or lunch to make up incomplete work.
• Your child can realize that every class can be useful and interesting if he/she puts in some effort.
Web Accessibility Statement: Good faith efforts have been made to ensure the compliance of Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, Web Content Accessibility Guideline 2.0 Level AA (WCAG 2.0 Level AA) and New York State’s OFT Policy P04-002. If you are unable to access any pages on our site, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.